Monday, September 29, 2008

Project with Scrapbook Papers

This is one of those projects that has been mulling around in my head, but I hadn't gotten around to doing. Finally, today I decided to buckle down and do it with Siri, my 4 year old. I had a lot of papers from the Laundry Line from My Minds Eye Scrapbooking company. The papers are BEAUTIFUL—they have a thin layer of glitter on them and I can't believe how sweet they are. Anyway, I went through my craft boxes and found some brass brads, masking tape, a ruler, and some crocheting yarn (I was hoping to find some twine, but to no avail). I made these little flags for the girls' room. We are renting right now, so anything like this makes the room look a little better. 

I cut out triangles of the scrapbook paper (I cut out the paper with one on the front and one of the back so that they matched up evenly). I just used masking tape to get the triangles together (I thought about using some good glue, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle). I wanted really cool, glittery opposite sides so this worked out nicely. I also liked the thickness of the two pieces of scrapbook paper. Then I made holes—one inch from each end of the flag. I put the yarn into the brad and then put the brad into the paper. Sorry if this makes no sense (as I write it, it doesn't make much sense to me)...so just look at the photos!






OKay you can see the brads in the photo. The string is just strung along the front through the brads.

Here you can see the backs (with the brads).

Wait, did I mention that Siri was helping me? It was fun although she ended up just cutting up the same piece of scrapbook paper into little tiny bits and trying very hard to follow the lines (because Ms Wendy says that cutting on the lines is a good thing to learn). So be warned, your kids room will be pretty, but your kitchen will be a mess when you are done with this project!

3 comments:

Karin Hopkins said...

Cute idea! I saw a similar idea to this one in one of my friend's daughters room....it had her name on the flags (one letter on each flag) and the flags were all decked out with fringe, lace and jewels and then they were strung accross her mirror with some beautiful ribbon. I like your idea though cause it seems more manageable to me....love your girls room too! It looks so adorable!

Liz said...

Goodness gracious woman, will you come lend me even a shred of your creativity?

Amy said...

Very cute. I love the way the bed frame looks in the room! My favorite part is Siri under the bed.:)